ABC VIRGINIA REGIONAL OFFICES
Staff by Location
First Vice Chair
Balfour Beatty Construction
Second Vice Chair
Atlantic Constructors, Inc.
Comfort Systems of Virginia, Inc.
Lanigan Ryan P.C.
Immediate Past Chair
E.E. Reed Construction –
East Coast, LLC
Patrick J. Dean
ABC – Virginia Chapter
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Who is ABC-VA?
Associated Builders and Contractors Virginia Chapter (“ABC-VA”) is a statewide, pro-business association representing construction and construction-related firms. We have three regional offices throughout the state of Virginia: Dulles (Northern Virginia), Richmond (Central Virginia) and Norfolk (Hampton Roads).
ABC has the compelling distinction of being the only association that is based on a philosophy of free enterprise. We are dedicated to representing the interests of merit-shop contractors. We believe in open competition and work to protect Virginia’s status as a right-to-work state.
ABC-VA prides itself on being the leading construction industry association in the state, offering numerous networking events, management education courses and a multitude of safety and continuing education classes. Additionally, we are actively involved in developing the workforce within the construction industry and promoting careers in construction. Political advocacy is also a huge component of our chapter – we support the merit shop philosophy and will be the voice of our members when meeting with state and local legislators.
WHAT WE DO
ABC-VA is an association that was created by contractors and is driven by its members. The playing field is level and the emphasis is on helping every contractor grow and succeed. Here at ABC-VA we are the leading provider of networking, education, political advocacy and service to the commercial construction industry. Our membership represents the full-range of contractors from the hometown local contractor to the large, global construction firm. ABC-VA equally represents the general contractor, subcontractor, materials supplier and industry professional. Each member has an equal voice and an equal vote.
To provide value to Virginia’s construction community through education and training, service, networking, and political advocacy in a way that promotes the merit-shop philosophy and free enterprise, maximizes our members’ success, and enhances our industry’s image so that our members and their employees prosper.
To Be Virginia’s Premier Construction Association
ABC is the voice of the merit shop and we accept the responsibility for ensuring that voice is heard. We believe the merit shop movement is a movement for the betterment of the individual, the construction industry and the nation.
- We believe in the system of free enterprise and open competition.
- We believe in Virginia’s Right-to-Work statute.
- We believe employees and employers should have the right to determine wages and working conditions through either individual or collective bargaining, as they choose, within the boundaries of the law.
- We believe the employer must have concern for the general welfare of the employee and that there must be a fair compensation for work performed. At the same time, we believe that the employee has an obligation for satisfactory performance of assigned work.
- We support sound legislation in the areas of workers compensation, safety and unemployment compensation.
- We believe legislation that embraces fair play for employer and employee is essential to the preservation of our free enterprise system.
- We believe the law should protect the right of employees to work regardless of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin or membership or non-membership in a labor organization. We believe work opportunities should be made available to all legal residents and we support programs toward this end.
- We oppose violence, coercion, intimidation and the denial of the rights of employees and employers.
- We believe monopolies or any kind of price or wage fixing, in either the public or private sector, are detrimental to our system of free enterprise.
- We believe the destiny of all Americans can be best served by cooperation, reconciliation and following the tenets of free enterprise and a democratic government. We believe business leaders can best preserve these tenets by becoming active in politics and civic affairs.